Button Battery Danger Exposed Yet Again in Promotional Products
In 2019 it was our cricket fans, in 2020 it was supporters at the AFL Grand Final and now in 2021, its Rugby League State of Origin fans who have been exposed to promotional products which have button batteries that were not safely secured.
This most recent incident of a light up beanie handed out to fans in Townsville at the State of Origin match on Wednesday 9th June 2021 is yet another stark reminder to our industry that all promotional products must be safe and comply with the law.
If swallowed, a button battery can become stuck in a child’s throat and result in catastrophic injuries and even death.
APPA is urging ALL members and industry colleagues to undertake APPA’s Product Safety Training, watch our Button Battery Webinar and read up on the recently announced Button Battery Mandatory Standards and Guidance from the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC). Unfortunately the uptake of these available resources has been disappointingly low to date.
APPA Education & Training
Recent Case Studies
- Cricket Australia Promotional LED Wristband Recall
- AFL Promotional LED Wristband Recall
- QLD State of Origin Light Up Beanie Warning
Button Battery Standards & Supplier Guidelines