Mandatory Button Battery Standards Announced
On Monday 21st December 2020, the Federal Government announced the introduction of new mandatory safety and information standards to improve the safety of button and coin batteries and consumer goods containing them.
As a member of the Button Battery Taskforce working in consultation with the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC), APPA welcomes the four new mandatory standards:
- Consumer Goods (Products Containing Button/Coin Batteries) Safety Standard 2020
- Consumer Goods (Products Containing Button/Coin Batteries) Information Standard 2020
- Consumer Goods (Button/Coin Batteries) Safety Standard 2020
- Consumer Goods (Button/Coin Batteries) Information Standard 2020
The new mandatory standards introduce the following key requirements:
- Secure battery compartments for consumer goods that contain button batteries, where the batteries are intended to be replaced, to prevent children from gaining access to the batteries;
- Compliance testing of consumer goods that contain button batteries, whether or not the batteries are intended to be replaced, to demonstrate the battery is secure and cannot be easily released;
- Child resistant packaging for button batteries, based on their risk profile, to prevent children from gaining access to the batteries; and
- Warnings and information to alert consumers that a button battery is included with the product.
The new standards took effect on 22 December 2020 and an 18-month transition period applies from this date.
Suppliers have until June 2022 to comply with the new requirements by implementing any manufacturing and design changes to products and packaging and undertake any testing necessary to ensure compliance with the new mandatory safety and information standards.
No other country in the world has been able to design and deliver risk-based mandatory regulation that applies to all consumer products containing button batteries.
Further information about the new standards is available on the Product Safety Australia website at: https://www.productsafety.gov.au/product-safety-laws/safety-standards-bans/mandatory-standards.